Halloween has become increasingly popular over the past few years, especially for pet owners. According to the Halloween Spending Survey, an annual report released by the National Retail Federation (NRF), it was predicted that 20 million pet owners would spend $350 million on their pets during the 2015 Halloween festivities. As the pet industry continues to grow each year, there’s no doubt that this year’s pet costume statistics will surpass these numbers.
Although Halloween seems to be a ‘spooktacular’ time for all, it’s important to remember that it can also be a frightful and dangerous occasion for our pets. If you will be out with your friends to attend Halloween parties, try to find an available pet boarding facility that can take care of your pet in the meantime.
Let’s be mindful of a few pet hazards present during the Halloween season and make sure to follow these safety tips for our four-legged friends!
- A tired dog is a good dog! Give your pup a nice long walk before the trick-or-treaters start their visits. With all the commotion at the front door, it’s best to put pets in a secure, relaxing, safe zone. Keeping Fido or Fluffy in a crate or closed off separate room is a smart idea. Provide them with their favorite bed, toys, and access to food and water bowl.
- Decorate with your pet in mind. Keep candlelit jack-o-lanterns out of reach of your curious pet. This festive decoration can be a real fire hazard if flipped or knocked over. Consider using flameless candles instead. Always secure electrical cords out of reach as well. If chewed, your beloved pet can suffer cuts, burns and even a life threatening shock.
- The candy bowl is NOT for Scruffy or Fluffy. Bags full of candy and chocolaty treats can be extremely tempting for our fur-friends. It’s important to keep that Halloween candy stash in a safe place, far out of paws reach. Explain to everyone in your home (including kids) how dangerous candy is for pets. Instead, spoil your pooch with a goody that will keep him or her happy and occupied, like a SmartBones® dog chew! This NO Rawhide chew is highly digestible, low fat and 100% delicious! Learn more at: Smartbones.com.
- Ghosts, ghouls and goblins can cause doorbell anxiety! Strangers dressed in costumes and the constant ringing of the doorbell may be scary to even the friendliest of pets. Fear, anxiety and unusual activities and visitors can all pose threats to our pets during this holiday. The AKC Calming Coat is a must-have product this Halloween for nervous pets. Similar to swaddling a baby, the Calming Coat will keep Fido in a relaxed state of mind during the festivities. Learn more at: MyCalmingCoat.com.
- Be sure to trick-or-TAG. The front door is a high traffic area during the trick-or-treating hours. It’s crucial to have your pet properly identified with an up-to-date ID tag should they get loose from you or your home. Twigo Pet ID Tags can be instantly personalized and are completely silent, ideal for those who dislike jingling noise. These tags are fun, stylish and will make the perfect costume accessory while keeping your pet safe during Halloween this year! Learn more at: Twigotags.com.
- Let Fido Trick-or-Treat in style. If you plan to take your pet trick-or-treating with the family or to the local Halloween parade, be sure to keep him or her leashed at all times. A fun way to include your pup is to strap on A Pet with Paws Doggie Backpack before hitting the streets. This stylish, eco-friendly backpack will make a fabulous fashion statement this Halloween and will give Fido the opportunity to carry his own poop bags. In addition, this backpack is the perfect spot for your pup to store his very own treat collection too! Learn more at: APetwithPaws.com.
- Only dress your pet up if they are safe and comfortable! Did you know 1 in 5 millennials will dress their pets in costumes this year? If your furry friend doesn’t mind dressing up, make sure that you select a costume that doesn’t restrict his normal movements, breathing or vision. Costumes that interfere with these things can cause ligament or joint injuries, and animals are more likely to bite if their vision is impaired.
BH Pet Gear recently launched a line consisting of 7 terrifyingly cute costumes for canines this 2016 Halloween season. These safe, comfortable and adorable costumes include: Devil, Wonderdog, Shark, Monkey, Pumpkin, Elephant and Troll. Whether your pup is a mischievous devil or a playful wild monkey, there’s a costume to fit every dog’s personality. Learn more at: bhpetgear.com.
By staying mindful of these precautions and following some simple pet safety tips, you and your pet-loving family will be sure to have a tail wagging good time this Halloween!